It was CRAZY hot here on Tuesday night. The usual 20+ weather became a muggy 35+! It was waaay too hot to cook, but Bruce and I figured out a great way to quickly use up some leftovers! This is another simple, budget-savvy and very fast weeknight meal. No need to turn on the oven or even the BBQ again! Just a quick warm up on the stove! Grab your team and get this done FAST!
- 2 tbsp olive or camelina oil
- juice of one whole lime
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- sea salt & pepper
- leftover steak – about two – sliced in strips, about 1 1/2 inches long
- 1/2 cup chopped onion – we used white
- 1 sliced and diced bell pepper – we used the last bit of orange & yellow & that we had in the fridge!
- 4 tortillas
- grated cheese
- Mix the oil, lime juice & spices together in a bowl.
- Heat this mixture on medium temp in a pan
- Add steak and peppers and stir until heated through and peppers/onion are cooked to your tastes – we did about 5-7 minutes
- Serve warm on tortillas with salsa, cheese and/or fresh guacamole (I basically mash an avocado, add some lime juice & salsa & voila, that’s the quickest fresh and good for you!)
This is really easy and doesn’t use those salty, chemically-laden spice “mixes” from the store. Use whatever “Mexican” spices you have to jazz up the sauce. I would have added fresh cilantro if I had any. It’s also a great way to use that leftover steak. You do not want to waste those expensive cuts that you always BBQ too much of!
Meal Planning and using up leftovers is what we do! Get our meal plans delivered straight to your email and eliminate the “What’s for supper?” question! Click on the badasses below to find out more!