We all procrastinate at times. There are those daunting tasks that you don’t want to start because of one reason or another. Procrastination leaves us with feelings of uneasiness, anxiety, regret and even panic at times. Yet we still do it; some people more than others. We know we are procrastinating yet we still squander away free time and put off important tasks until alas it is just too late.
There are things that we can do to prevent procrastination from taking over. Go ahead and read this; how about now and not later? 😉
1) Tackle your most difficult task first when your energy level is highest. This will ensure best results and you will feel energized and productive. With the worst tasks out of the way the rest will seem easy peasy!
2) Rome was not built in a day. Sometimes starting a big project is half of the battle. Divide large tasks into smaller ones so as to ovoid overwhelm. Make a commitment to finish small tasks each day.
3) Set a timer for 10-15minute intervals. This will keep you on track and allow you some encouragement by racing against the clock. Motivate yourself by seeing what you can get done in that short amount of time.
4) Make sure your work space is organized, clear, and inspiring. You don’t need distractions when you are trying to be productive. Clear space = clear mind.
5) Schedule tasks on your calendar. By setting times and deadlines you are more likely to get things done than when you say. Creating a game plan is half the battle and allows you to move forward easily.
6) Eliminate your easy distractions such as email, social media, phone. Sometimes these are all too easy to suck our time away. Reward yourself with these things when you are finished what you are doing.
“Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task.” ~William James