It’s happened to all of us. Everything is going merrily along, progress is happening on your project. Suddenly…from out of nowhere….
- the dog barfs on the carpet
- you can’t figure out the code for a simple change on your website
- your 11 year old wants to tell you about his day.
- you’ve just been presented with yet another field trip form with 2 pages of info to fill out and you can’t find the *$#(% cheque book
- your mother calls
- you have to pee!
Interruptions are inevitable. Sometimes, I can get really annoyed and ticked off when they happen; especially if I’m “in the flow”. However, the irritated feeling ends up hurting continued productivity (because I get focused on the negative when I do get back to it) and at worst, your annoyed attitude can hurt feelings of those you love. What do I do instead? I have a few remedies I’d like to share:
- Take a deep breath and focus on the moment. This is especially effective when dealing with kids or spouse. It alleviates the annoyed attitude
- Laugh at the interruption. It’s not the end of the world. It’s only a carpet.
- Enjoy the break! Sometimes we get too wrapped up!
- Have a cup of tea/coffee and step outside for a moment. That always clears my head.
What are your tips for dealing with a road block? Let us know in the comments!