“There is no one giant step that does it. It’s a lot of little steps.” ~Peter Cohen
January always feels like a time for a fresh start to me. I always look forward to filling the pages of my own personal story throughout the year, don’t you?! One thing that many people want to do is to be more organized; it is a very common New Year’s Resolution. Sometimes things don’t always go as planned unfortunately. One mistake that people make with organizing is biting off more than they can chew. Big plans can get out of control and that leads to some serious procrastination!
I have some things that you can do daily to keep your home neat and tidy that are all doable. Some of these you may already do in your own routine. (Kudos to you!)
1. Everything in it’s place. Make sure that every item has a home that makes sense. Ie. All like items in one place. This increases the likelihood of everyone in your house putting them back. If you have no room then it is time to donate, sell or give away a few things.
2. If something is broken then either fix it or don’t. Make that decision and give yourself a timeline to deal with it. Having broken things hanging around is a waste of your precious real estate! (It is also bad Feng Shui as these things symbolize a broken life.)
3. Have a donate box/bin in an easily accessible place where you can have items that you no longer want, love, or need. As soon as it is full take the items to the thrift shop or appropriate new home.
4. Keep flat surfaces clear. This is a toughy! Clean and clear surfaces such as tables and counter tops are magnets for clutter. Keep the mess at bay by doing a quick tidy at the end of the day. Go from room to room with a basket and return items to their spot. Better yet get your family into the habit of helping with this as part of their bed time routine. 😉
5. Do your dishes after your meal. This is a great habit to get into that has been awesome for me in my home! As soon as we are finished our meal together, we each have a job to do; whether it be clearing dishes, washing, drying, or putting away. Then I usually follow and wipe the table and counter tops. It is a pet peeve of mine to wake up to dirty, smelly dishes. A nasty way to start the day is to have to do chores!
6. Another habit that takes just a couple of minutes is to make your bed after you get up. It is such a simple and quick thing to do that automatically makes your room look way better. Start when your kiddos are young in teaching them to pull the covers up when the get up. My seven year old is awesome at this! My teen…well still working on that one!!
7. Do a load of laundry every day or every second day at the most. This makes it so much easier than having a bunch of loads to do at a time. There is always enough to make a load if you think about it. Throw in some towels, a coat or that throw blanket that you have been meaning to wash. Also make sure that laundry ends up in the clothes hampers and not all over the floor. Lastly make sure those clothes get put away. (Why is this task so difficult?)
These things don’t cost money and they cost little time but make a world of difference! Start with one thing at a time and gradually incorporate all of these into your everyday routine.
Best of luck,