There are a few things to do before you begin to meal plan. You have to be prepared. Now that is bad ass!!
Take a few moments before your busy week to take inventory of what you have in your freezer and fridge. This is also a good time to give the fridge a quick clean. 😉
Other things to take into consideration when meal planning:
- what needs used up? Are there items in your fridge that will soon perish? How can you incorporate those into your plan?
- everyone is over inundated with grocery store flyers. Take your favorite shopping place(s) weekly flyer and go get some deals! Why pay extra if you don’t have to?! Plan your meal around that sale item. Don’t forget about shopping on special savings days like 10% Tuesday. Also try to shop locally and experience our farmers markets to get the freshest and tastiest foods.
- look ahead at your week. Chances are you have some nights that are busier than others. For those busy days incorporate recipes that don’t require much cook time. Ie. Slow cooker, freezer meals or foods that you can prep. easily the night before.
- consider a big cook with a friend(s). Once a month I get together to make freezer meals. There are usually four of us that take turns hosting. We make about 8 meals in 3 hours! It’s a fun way to prep. meals for the upcoming month. (That’s 2 meals available per week if you need them.) It saves from the last minute panic on a busy evening and keeps us away from fast food!
- nutrition. Making a well rounded, nutritious meal plan with a variety of foods throughout the week keeps meal time interesting .
- leave space. Leave a day or two open for leftovers or nights that you have other plans or just want to be spontaneous. Over planning can set you up to waste food.
- take into account what produce is in season and catch some sweet deals
Baby steps my friend. We want you to be successful and know you can do it with a little know how and determination.
Want to join in on the Meal Planning Fun? Check it out here: Bad Ass Meal Planning.
Our goal at Simple Life Celebrations is to do exactly that – help you simplify your life so that you have time to celebrate the important things!
We have been working really hard to get you an efficient meal plan because we understand what it can be like trying to juggle jobs, kids, committee work and also try and eat a balanced meal without running to the store every single day! Next week we will be bringing you a meal plan to get you through a months worth of meals. This not only includes the meal list but it also will include your grocery list (print it and go!), your recipes (in a cute and simple printable format), PLUS a pantry staples printable so you can keep track of what you have in your pantry! Sound good? That is not even everything! We also have the recipes (that we have tested and made many a time) rated from Simple to Simpler, to Simplest. There will be ingredients that you can find easily at the grocery store and nothing too tedious to make. And there is always the option of switching meal days to suit your needs!
Why do we meal plan?
First of all it is a huge time saver! Saweet right?
If we didn’t plan then we would be running to the grocery store daily and frantically trying to figure out what we are going to have to eat (sometimes just knowing what to have is half the battle!) Not only that but then we would not be sale shopping; which I love to do! Who doesn’t like saving some of their hard earned money?!
So what other benefits does meal planning have?
What are the benefits of meal planning?
- you will eat out less
- with a plan you will eat less pre-packaged meals
- you will always have the groceries that you need
- less food waste because every food on your list will have a purpose
- you will save money
- you will eat a good variety of meals
- you will be eating healthier
- your family can participate in the meal plan
- you won’t have the stress of trying to figure out what’s for dinner
- less time wasted figuring out what to eat and grocery shopping
- less trips to the store means less impulse shopping and temptations
- you will have less impulse purchases
Once you get the hang of meal planning and make it habit to set aside time once a week/month to plan your meals then you will be well on your way to a happier, healthier mealtime.
In just 3 short days we will be providing you with the ideas and taking the stress out of meal time. We really want to help people eat good meals and save some money at the same time! To us it is much more important spending more time with those that we love than running to the grocery store, spending excessive money and stressing about what to have for supper!
This is where you can find our Bad Ass Meal Plan!
Enjoy the process, savor the food and live life to the absolute fullest.